Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Valley of the Sun and Ontario Races

Two weekends wednesdays ago i left ventura to make my multistop trip to Arizona to race VOS. Wednesday I rode easy with teammate Dominic Galenti IV. Thursday drove to Blythe, CA with good friend Eric Bennett of Now MS Society. Did an easy ride with a few openers to prepare for the time trial the following day and was even chased by a pitbull - TWICE! That got the heartrate going. Friday I warmed up as best I could for the TT but was just not set up right on the bike and had less than adequate fitness due to being sick a week or two before. I had a time of 33:50 which was 57 seconds back from winner Danny Heeley. In the road race I was in a break with one 16 mile lap to go and was about to move into the overall lead when my body shut down and destroyed my hammy in the process. That injury will not leave me alone. I was still in fourth because my break mate - Stephen Leece - won and moved into first. The crit was fast and technical and I had some bowel issues before hand so my warm up was less than adequate there. After I realized I couldn't get off the front I stayed in the front group while Danny Heeley went away and moved back into first with our help of blocking an all out chase.

I ended up fourth overall and Danny Heeley, Stephen Leece and Connor O'Leary took first through third respectively.


Ontario #1 -
I drove from Ventura down to Ontario on Friday to ride with team mate and one of my best friends Ryan Cleveland and his little brother Marcelo (also a good friend). I stayed at there house (thank you so much!) and rode with the team Saturday on the Cow Ride. There was a crash and 4 or so people went down the worst of all being Jim Bosco who dislocated and broke his elbow(?). Sunday morning we all woke up around 6 (I slept till about 630) and then ate some homemade oatmeal and toast (all food thanks to Cecilia "Cici" Cleveland). Ryan and I left at 730 to ride to the course and then got registered and rode the trainers then went to the start line. I attacked from the gun (trademark). Was brought back and countered by teammate Andrew Ramage (wanted him to win) who was also brought back and countered by yours truly. Before I knew it I had a sizeable gap and about a lap later I look back and see a few guys bridging up. In the break was Ramage Damage, Mr. Britain himself - Danny Heeley, and three others. We worked well together and I attacked with two laps to go and was brought back with about a half lap to go and told Damage to counter but he was fried. I have no sprint so I sat on Danny and Jorges wheel to take third, with Ramage fifth. A major shout out to the best team ever, blocking everything that went and helping a ton. Josh, Ryan and Dave were life savers in that race.
The cat 3 race came and I got in a few breaks, dealt with a few idiots, most from Ironfly and took ninth in the sprint I guess.

Up next is the Southern Nevada Stage Race which starts Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment